3.04.2004

The Passion and 1000-Character limits

So, I lied about that being my last post, but that's not my faullt! I blame Hoov, seeing as his comments on my post (which surpassed our HaloScan comments' 1000-character limit) are the basis for this post, and here they are:

Nice commentary...although as a history major, this and all of the other "controversial" discussion of this movie misses what in my mind is a fairly major point: crucifixion is one of the all time inhumane, brutal and torturous ways to die. From what I have read--religiosity aside--this is a physically accurrate account of a crucifying. As a prof I had in college said about the death of Jesus and crucifixion in general (parphrasing here): "You dont die just from being stapled to a cross for three hours--these were horrific beatings..." We have over the years so sanitized the death of Jesus to make it consumable for the masses, that we have lost the historically accurrate context for the ass whoopin that it was.

So I am a little mystified by everyone's dismay at the brutality, or the claims that MG is sensationalizing the death of Jesus to make a point. You could compare this to the "controversy" surrounding the brutality in "Full Metal Jacket" or "Platoon" 15 or 20 years ago (I remember one reviewer saying that they were "offended by such a brutal picture of war"...Dude! It's f*&^%$# war!!!) after our society had watched 30 years of John Wayne neatly taking over World War II beaches. It may have been popular myth, but it werent war folks...

A confirmed non-Jew,

Hoov


And he makes a good point. Being crucified is at the top of my Ways Not to Die list - has been since I learned (maybe from watching Sparticus?) just what a duckin' firiculously painful way to die it is. Of course, now I can't remember if it's from your lungs filling up with water or from your ribs crushing your lungs, but regardless, it would suck a lot. Actually, since I'm writing on the subject again, I saw another critique along the same lines as my last post, this time written by Gregg Easterbrook (who also happens to be the author of the very funny Tuesday Morning Quarterback during the NFL season) - just scroll down to the March 3rd post on his blog.

Oh, by the way, it's kinda cool that my parents and their friends are reading this. Thanks for giving us a shot, and even more for getting us feedback - we love that stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home