3.05.2004

Where's the Music?

So we here at Culturegeist have been concentrating mostly on movies since our inception 4 days ago (It's been four days!?), what with the Peters, the Razzies, Hidalgo, and Jesus, but all that's about to change. Now that I'm the music director at WCCR, Cary Quadrangle's (of Purdue University) very own web radio station, I have a stack - well, more a disheveled pile - of more than 50 CDs from the last 8 months or so to listen through and review. And, you guessed it, I'm going to report to you, the eagerly awaiting populace, on the best of these hot new bands. I've just started listening to them, and I'm about 3/4 of the way through the second CD - even though the first one shouldn't really count; it was a live CD of one of my favorite bands, The Mars Volta, who I'm actually seeing live in Indy next month.

Anyway, the CD I'm listening to now is from a NY-based quartet called Stuck On 8. Their album All I Know makes it easy to tell who the band's two biggest influences are: Dave Matthews Band and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They've got a few really good tracks which, if the band gets any kind of publicity, could and even should be playing on college radio stations around the country.

On a more local note, those of you out there who are into *legal* music downloads should check out some of the Indianapolis-based music that's been on there for only about a month. Benchmark Records, a local indie label, signed a deal with iTunes last month and now the likes of Loretta, America Owns the Moon, and Devil To Pay are all available for download at reasonable prices. *cheesy salesman grin* Just thought I'd give you all a heads up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home