3.07.2004

Reviews, Opinions, and Promotional Pimps

Well its been a few days since i've posted, mostly due to the fact that i've been running around trying to get multitudes of things accomplished. Amazingly, late Thursday night, I purchased a computer, after having bugged all of my friends for days to help me make sure I got the right one. And I would like to take this chance to thank them for putting up with me.

Now, back to the topic at hand. While Adam here is a promotional pimp for his indie record labels, I will try to bring you the unbiased opinion of...well, me. Now, it must have slipped Adam's mind to let me borrow said CD's so that I may form my own opinion to counter/agree with his, and therefore I will not currently be able to review the aforementioned albums. However, I will bring you updates as to what I have been listening to, and to offer insight into these wonderful bands and albums.

First off, 'Lost in Translation' is probably my favorite movie of the past year. Yes, you heard me, I'd have to say its beyond 'The Return of the King.' It also has one of the best soundtracks, and I highly recommend coming by it by whatever means you deem fit. Especially check for the song 'Just Like Honey' by The Jesus and Mary Chain, which you may recognize as the song that plays as the movie comes to a close. Absolutely wonderful track there.

Speaking of soundtracks....if you've seen and like 'Kill Bill' I highly recommend...no wait, demand that you go out and find a copy of this soundtrack. Absolutely amazing. Only Quentin Tarantino could put together such a soundtrack that so perfectly fits the movie. Look for 'Battle without Honor or Humanity' and 'Don't Let Me be Misunderstood' as the two stand-out tracks.

As far as newer, indie bands go, I recommend OK Go, and The Reunion Show. A couple of great bands here. You may recognize OK Go from their hit single 'Get Over It.' High energy, pop-punk sound gives them their own personal feel to this anger filled anthem. I suggest checking out the songs '1000 Miles Per Hour,' 'You're so Damn Hot,' and 'Don't Ask Me.' As for The Reunion Show, I first discover this little band when I came upon their cd in Von's Record Shop when I was flipping through their selection. The reviews mentioned on the album sleeve compared them to the likes of Weezer with their geek-punk sound. Being a huge Weezer fan myself and the CD being cheap, I picked it up, and have never regretted it. Even on repeat listenings, its still a great CD. 'Art of Doing Nothing' is a great example of their fun sound, and 'New Rock Revolution' demonstrates their high-energy doses of geek-punk.

And now...we've reached a weekly feature here on Culturegeist....Collin's Weekend Review. Here at the Cary Quad West, we usually take over the big screen in the basement, and watch movies and play various games. This weekend being no exception, I'm here to review one game, and three movies for you.

First, the games.....Virtua Tennis for the Dreamcast. Virtua Tennis is by far one of the greatest arcade games to ever grace the likes of Putt-Putt. And while the Dreamcast controller is a bit oversized and a pain on your thumbs, its still a great game. If you happen to have four controllers, the doubles matches make for great fun.

Now, the movies...
Pirates of the Caribbean
Definitly an amazing movie. Johnny Depp provides a two-hour impression of Keith Richards in this amazing, oscar nominated performance, as he captures the audiences attention and love. While Legol- er....Orlando Bloom gives a worthy performance as a blacksmith turned pirate. The lovely Keira Knightly is absolutely spectacular, and she's a pretty good actress too. Geoffrey Rush probably delivers the best performance in the movie as a mutinous first mate turned skull and bones captain (literally). Over all, absolutely amazing, 9 of 10 stars.

Braveheart
Now I have to be honest, this was the first time I've ever seen this movie, and I must admit, it was better than I had expected. Although pretty inaccurate historically speaking, the movie does give a glimpse into the bloody history between Scotland and England. With amazing fight scenes, and moving/disturbing torture scenes, you can feel the struggle for freedom. My favorite thing about the movie though, is that it pretty much declares that William Wallace broke the current line of kings, very cheeky indeed. 8 of 10 stars.

Willow
George Lucas and Ron Howard team to create one of the greatest fantasy tales of our time. Building on classic themes of fantasy stories, Willow goes above and beyond your normal fantasy movie. Although not politically correct, I think it has been decided that all of the midgets in the screen actors guild, and some of their cousins, appear in the opening of the movie. That being said, the incomparable Billy Barty appears as the elder wizard High Aldwin in one of his greatest performances, right up there with Gwildor in Masters of the Universe, and Noodles MacIntosh in UHF. Val Kilmer also gives one of his best performances as thief turned hero.
Willow - 9 of 10.
Masters of the Universe - 6 of 10 (but still one of my favorite movies of the 80's)
UHF - 6 of 10 - (but one of the funnitest movies of the 80's, especially/only if you like Weird Al)

RIP Billy Barty ~ 2000.

Thus ends our broadcast day....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home