6.25.2006

Newspapers to world: "We're not dead, yet!"

I'm not going to lie. One reason I want to keep this blog is because I have an overinflated opinion of my...opinions. But I also want to hone my own writing skills, and to keep the ability to write like a person once I go to law school in the fall. My understanding is that legal writing doesn't resemble anything else of this world. I should also admit that should a career in the legal profession not pan out, I wouldn't mind looking for a job writing for somebody, somewhere (hence the skills honing). Hopefully it won't come to that, but it never hurts to have a backup plan.

The reason I write all this is the state of the newspaper industry today. Slate's Jack Shafer, the same man who (convincingly) argued for NYT readers to wholly migrate online, just put out a piece on the current stage of the long, drawn-out (but profitable) death currently being suffered by newspapers around the country. He makes a lot of good points, especially at the end. The word "New" (especially with that capital N) causes a lot of trouble, what with the New Economy and the New Media, but I think the latter is here to stay. I don't want to say that blogs and other "unprofessional" websites are going to replace the classic media. That's stupid. Even Wonkette says she, and other bloggers, are supplements to and checks on the media, not replacements for them. In a culture where we are bombarded by information from all directions and simultaneously starved for entertainment, more options are a must. Besides, coupons out of the Sunday paper are much better than printing them from the Internet. Long live the daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home