5.18.2004

Limits has the flow that makes you booty go OH SNAP

So I'm new to this game. I don't want any shame brought to it on my behalf, so I'll try to make sense.

Okay, here's the deal. I've had a lot to comment on regarding many things since school has retired for..well, for two weeks or so. This appears to be an adequate forum for my pseudointellectual discourse.

OKAY!

It's both wonderful and horrifying that the music of the 1980s is making a strong comeback. The decade seems to be crawling up from its grave. The "I Love the 80s!" special on VH1 made this knowledge mainstream, but it has been happening for quite some time. I believe the advent of the new millennium has made people painfully aware of how fast society (and time itself) is progressing, so we believe we need to reach back to move forward. For the most part, this is true. I believe that you cannot move forward without having an adequate understanding of where you have been.

However, that's not the way the music industry is being treated. More and more, I am hearing songs on the radio that are painfully reminiscent of trends of both the late 70s, all of the 80s, and the early 90s. Now, I'm not one to bash trends of those times. In fact, the 80s was a grossly underrated decade in terms of music. The problem to me is that a majority of the population still ridicules those who enjoyed the music of the 80s.

Now, to open their eyes, I pose these two points:

1. "Take My Breath Away" by Jessica Simpson.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike this song. A lot. The point is that it's an extremely popular song on the radio these days. I know my indie cred is forever damaged because I keep abreast of radio songs on drives to and from school, but I believe I should be knowledgeable of as many forms of music as possible. However, that's not important. This song is increasingly popular and many people seem to neglect the fact that it's a remake (Berlin). As far as they're concerned, it's a new pop hit. That's an issue to me. Abhorring a period of our culture and praising it when it returns via a current popular individual. In fact, the band System of a Down redid a song by Berlin (The Metro) and again, many people I encountered did not acknowledge this fact. Yet, Berlin is relegated to VH1 specials.

2. "Lovesong" by 311

Now, this is just appalling. Again, a song that is popular on alternative pop radio these days. The original song by The Cure is off, in my opinion, one of the greatest albums of all time (Disintegration). To hear it redone in an absolutely awful pop-cum-reggae style has made me wretch with each listen. It sounds like Sublime on a horrible bender after they just broke up with their 8th grade significant other. I suppose I'd let it pass if people enjoyed the song..I mean, each person is entitled to their own opinion.

The point is that people have not heard the original...and not hearing the original lessens your entire experience. Also, even in the case of hearing it, they dismiss all songs of the area as kitschy and worthless. In the case of "Take My Breath Away," more people have heard it. But for every "Take My Breath Away," there are so many Billy Squire songs (note: Dizzee Rascal, Kelis, etc.), Cure songs (note: nearly every current emo band), and of course...Gang of Four/Public Image Ltd. (note: The Rapture, Hot Hot Heat, !!!, virtually every new dancepunk band).

Respect your elders, people.

PS

Today is the anniversary of the death of Ian Curtis. 24 years to the day.
He was the lead singer of Joy Division, one of the all-time greats.
A band that released a mere two true studio albums.
A band whose life was cut tragically short by the hanging of their engaging leader.
New Order rose from their ashes, but they cannot touch Joy Division.

Experience the magic of the albums Closer (my personal favorite) and Unknown Pleasures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home